Monday, December 12, 2005

my new arrival

I love computers, and although I’ve always had a PC at home, we’re largely Mac-based at work. Some time back, I got an email from Apple announcing the arrival of the new iMac G5, and it was lust at first sight. In November, much to the disdain of the PC-loving Bibliogirl, I finally ordered one. The only decision had been whether to order the 17” or 20” model. A quick visit to the Apple Store on Regent Street made me realise the stunning 20” was the only option.

I excitedly prepared for its arrival like normal people might prepare for a new baby. But instead of preparing a nursery, I redecorated the living room, and bought it a new desk and printer. Online tracking even made the delivery relatively painless. It was beautiful, quiet, and easy to care for. Garageband and Logic Pro are fantastic (even if the latter is a rather steep learning curve cliff), iTunes is easily navigated with the compact remote control, and I have some other wonderful pieces of Mac-only software.

I’m writing this some time (several months) later, I still love my Mac. It’s easy, elegant and well designed. It’s also been sent in twice for repair. The Mac is a more effective muse, but I can’t work with Photoshop, and my beloved Paint Shop Pro is PC only. The PC was rescued from the dump zone spare bedroom, and improved with a 17” TFT monitor, new hard drive and a questionable copy of XP.

Each has their own workstation, but I occasionally wonder how many dork-points I score for having them networked across the same room.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I occasionally wonder how many dork-points I score for having them networked across the same room.

Um.
You know your sister. And me.

You so lose!

j.j. said...

Well, I'm sure you _do_ realise that, in my eyes, you and Bibliogirl represent the gold standard of dorkdom ;-)

I meant compared to normal people :-)