Thursday, November 25, 2004

oh. my. god.

Could someone please let me know if it is normal to want to choke the life out of your supervisor?

Really.

My sister very kindly helped me set up some webspace, so that I could upload my thesis files. Partly so I had another back-up, but also so I could put up a page from which my two supervisors can download the various sections as they become available. This seemed like a good idea. I also added a polite little note to the page, requesting that the pages were printed, and any corrections were marked up and returned to me on paper. (I did this as my main supervisor, Rob, has the rather tedious habit of using the Track Changes tool on Word. This drives me nuts.)

So... this morning, I finally haul my arse out of bed and check my email. And cluttering up my inbox, are two sections of my thesis. The text was black, now most of it is blue and crossed through. And considering many of the paragraphs are lifted directly from a paper Rob OK'd about 18 months ago, I really can't understand his problem...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our sysadmin in the OED (and my lodger) wrote, under protest, a word document explaining some of the setup. And put it on a shared network drive.

Our boss "corrected" it in place (rather than providing a chagne request list), and then complained that the formatting wasn't consistent.

--
Wimble

j.j. said...

I'm pretty sure we _don't_ have the same boss, but that really does sound like the kind of thing that would happen around here ;-)

Anonymous said...

I think, at this point, wanting to kill your supervisor is entirely normal. Or to stuff his red pen up his nose (yes, yes, I wrote my thesis long enough ago that printing it out and correcting it was the only way to go) -- BG

j.j. said...

If pen-like objects were going to be inserted into any orifice, I think I could find a more imaginative place to stick them than his nose ;-)

And bitch as I do about certain word processing programmes, I'm just _so_ grateful that technology has superseded the typewriter.

Life without Cut and Paste... unimaginable!