Monday, November 29, 2004

things I'm learning

I'm currently spending most of my time glued either to my computer, or the current series of Third Watch on Channel 4. I have, however, had the time to make a few observations:

I should have read all of the relevant literature at the start of the project, not now that I'm writing my thesis.

Key papers will always be written in German.

I think I may have attention deficit disorder, but you can't buy Ritalin online.

My ability to touch type is getting worse, not better

Baileys does not help me to write.

When you're flat fucking broke, you really shouldn't be buying bottles of Absolut (especially when there is perfectly good ethanol in the lab).

When deadlines force me to, I can actually focus for, ooohhh, about 45 minutes at time. Then I start perusing the iTunes store, or browsing blogs. Suddenly, the observations of friends of my sister's livejournal friend's seem more interesting than my thesis.

If I say I see light at the end of the tunnel, supervisor Rob will cross it out with big red lines and ask me if I'm sure about this.

Rob is a prick.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rob is the one you're _not_ working with for the post-doc, right? -- BG

j.j. said...

At least not on a daily basis ;-)

Which will mean no particular change. There have been points throughout this studentship where I haven't spoken to him for two or three months, and he's had no idea what I'm working on, or where.

The most irritating thing about this is that when he does call, it will usually be because he "just wanted to touch base."

Email from him this morning:

"I can help you with the German."

I don't so much need help with the German as a translation/brief summary of the main points. Yes: if I sat down with a decent dictionary and a bottle of valium I could probably translate it. It would take me about a week. With help, maybe three days... which at the moment, I don't have...

Urgh!

Anonymous said...

Send me a copy and I'll see what I can do. My German is probably better than yours, and I also have at least one German friend (probably two, come to think of it) who may be able to help.

j.j. said...

Well, I've emailed Rob asking for a summary... if I don't get this, then I will be begging for help. While the faculty does resemble the UN, I can't (at the moment) think of any native German speakers :-(