Saturday, December 04, 2004

bah bloody humbug?

Normally I get excited about Christmas. Growing up, it was always a big deal... My Mum would deck the halls not so much with boughs of holly, but just about anything she could find. The glitzier the better. The tree would always be in the bay window of the living room; adorned with beautifully home-made decorations, it was usually the best in the street. The presents were piled up underneath. Mountains of food were cooked. Aside from the occasional disaster (usually Whiskers the cat either climbing the tree or chewing the light wires), it was a fantastic time of year.

Even though Santa still visits, it hardly ever snows any more. Most of the family are either dead or spread out. Oh, and I have the small matter of a thesis to finish and submit by 20th December.

I know I should get out the tree, and try to enter into the festive spirit. I think I left the lights on it, but I don't know if I have the time or the energy to decorate it. There's also the small matter of where to put it... the table I normally use is the storing papers and theses that are too important to add to the multiple piles on the floor.

Hmmmm... maybe next week...

Oh, and Happy Birthday Millie :-)

No comments: