Thursday, September 01, 2005

one to file under What The Fuck??

I have many work avoidance tactics, one of which is browsing the BBC News website. While the lack of detail can be rather annoying, it's add-free, and frequently updated.

It was January when I originally saw this story:

Three charged over car park death

Two men and a woman from Essex have been charged with the murder of a man whose burnt body was found in a wheelie bin in an east London car park.

Mark Evans, 48, from Dagenham, was strangled and transported in a wheelie bin to Electric Parade, Ilford.

Anthony Aldis, 38, of Goodmayes, Steven Fullerton, 28, of Gants Hill, and Leanne Terry, 26, of Seven Kings, have all been charged with his murder.

All three will appear at Waltham Forest magistrates court on Saturday.

They also face charges of perverting the course of justice.

A member of the public discovered the burning body on Wednesday morning after finding his garden fence on fire.


My first impressions after reading the story:
- Why?
- How?
- That must have been a bit of a, er, surprise for the “member of the public.”
- What a fucking way to go...
- Oh, and why??

Mark Evans is a pretty common name, and it wasn’t until I received a couple of emails that I realised that this Mark Evans was formerly the drummer of Warrior Soul, one of my favourite bands of the 90’s.

Shocked and bemused, my sister and I googled for more information, and found a message board that carried the story. The comments started out along the lines of “great band,” “what a shame, he was a top bloke,” and “never really liked their music, but what the fuck” etc.

Then came the inevitable question from an American.

“What’s a wheelie bin?”

What followed were a morbidly amusing variety of comments pointing out that no, it’s not a dumpster... and it’s not a trash can. Followed by people wondering quite how you could actually get a body into one (I spend too much time watching re-runs of CSI, so I’m guessing rigor mortis couldn’t have set in. Tasteless, I know.)

I know it would change nothing, but I still wish I knew what happened and why.

Mark Evans, RIP

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot the comment on the website which said "yeah, great band, they were smokin'", to which my comment was something along the lines of "yes, of course they would be if you poured petrol on them" ;)

j.j. said...

Hmmmm... and there was me trying to keep this post at least vaguely tasteful...

;-)

Besides, the report didn’t state what the accelerant was...