Friday, August 20, 2004

sneaking etc.

It took me a couple of hours to drive down the coast to the town where Sean had been working for the day. Technically, it was his day off, but he’d been doing some cash-in-hand labouring work with a friend. He looked cute as ever when I met up with him, but I was a little disappointed that he’d changed out of his hot and sweaty work clothes!

Anyway, we went for a few drinks, along with Tim and Sarah (his work buddy & girlfriend), and their baby girl (who is Sean’s God-daughter.) It was lovely, if not a little weird to see him again after so long. It was also a nice relief to chat to people about things that weren't science.

Anyway, Sean had asked his parents if one of his “friends from university” could stay over. I’m not sure if he mentioned me being a frustrated 30-year-old postgrad. They had very kindly, if somewhat naively, made up the guest bedroom. We didn't arrive back there until after his parents had gone to bed... we snuck upstairs and sat in a converted loft with a duvet covering the stairs, drinking wine, making out (quietly), and burning incense while smoking weed (and blowing the smoke out of the window.) Maybe this is what it would have been like if I had been in a possession of a life when I was 15… I never got to sneak around much as a teenager, so it was all rather fun...

The next morning, I went to see Sean in action at his regular job. It was amusing enough that I would love to describe it here… but it would be way too specific. Let's just say that it involved bubbles!

I don’t know if I’ll see him again… but here’s hoping. That's the kind of fun I could use on a regular basis, and I truly can't think of a better use for half a tank of petrol.

No comments: