Sunday, August 08, 2004

a wonderful wedding

Today was the wedding of Caffeine Fairy and Chomper99... lovely people, good friends of my sister, and former custodians of my current piece of shit car.

The ceremony, and subsequent picnic, took place on a woodland clearing atop a Hampshire hill. Aside from getting a little displaced (I'm reluctant to actually say I was lost) in Winchester, I eventually found the venue. This was after asking successive people I saw to confirm that it was St. Catherine's Hill I was about to climb... I had a nasty vision of making it to the top, then seeing the wedding party a couple of hilltops along. On a rather warm and humid day, that would have been seriously depressing!

The happy couple had already undergone a more formal (not to mention legally binding) wedding about a month ago. This was a less conventional ceremony, conducted in front of their friends. It was relaxed, and the vows were beautifully touching. This may sound like an odd way to describe it, but it just felt so much more real than some of the weddings I've been to before.

Especially for me, it was a lovely ceremony. I've never been the kind of girl that dreams of my wedding day. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'd rather use it towards something useful. I feel kind of fortunate that my sister did the Big White Wedding Thing, thus removing any pressure from me to follow the same path. I hear there is a nice little drive-thru wedding chapel in Vegas... far more my style. Or maybe now I'd consider a nice little hill in Hampshire...

No comments: