Sunday, July 18, 2004

Histology Hell

I tried.  I tried hard.  I tried everything.  I've just spent an unproductive afternoon in our histology lab.  Normally, being frustrated and covered in wax would conjure up rather more pleasant images... not today. 
 
For those not in the know... I have to embed my samples in hot wax, let the wax cool, then section them on a microtome.  If you're good (and I do have good days), the sections come off in a nice long ribbon, and you can mount them onto slides, ready for staining.  Other days, nothing works, and if you are like me, you finish up just wanting to break things.  That is usually the point where I know it is time to leave.  Part of the problem is that there are just too many things that can go wrong.  Troubleshooting loses every appeal when you've tried every remedy you know at least twice, and then have lost your samples in a pile of wax shavings on the bench.  If only crying would help...
 
Listening to: The Chemical Brothers


No comments: