Sunday, July 18, 2004

iTunes

OK, so since I got my super duper computer upgrade, I have been working pretty hard.  Mostly scanning my photo's (from work, of course), straightening them and trying to sort them into some kind of order.  That, and trying to rip my entire CD collection to MP3.
 
I downloaded the Apple software for iTunes... and it is pretty impressive.  I used to have RealPlayer, but it crashed without fail when I asked it to do anything vaguely taxing.  I've also tried HMV's dowload service, but it sucked without comparison.  By contrast, the Apple software is fast, user friendly and so far (touch wood) hasn't given me any kind of grief.
 
As I went through my CD collection, I edited out the tracks that I knew I would never, ever listen to again (unless I do actually go to Hell).  I also identified certain "mistakes" that are going straight to eBay...  although there are some I may actually be too embarrassed to sell.  The Quireboys being a case in point (in my defence... I would point out that the £1.99 sale sticker is still on it.)

Listening to: everything :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

FWIW, I use CDex for my ripping needs (from http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/ ) on my laptop. On my linux box I use mp3c (from http://www.wspse.de/WSPse/Linux-MP3c.php3 )

The relevant difference between the two is that mp3c can handle multi-artist CDs properly, but doesn't handle the album year. (At least, it doesn't on version 0.27, which is what I've been running. Ooh, 0.29 is out!)

That's largely because I predate iTunes, so I don't know how good it is.

--
Wimble

j.j. said...

I haven't seen the software that you describe, but I think the two best things about iTunes are the ease of use (it is simple, but idiot-proof) and the interface with the music shop, which is pretty much seamless.

The only thing it doesn't handle particularly well is trying to equalise the volumes between different CDs, but then, I haven't come across anything that _does_ do this well.

Anonymous said...

I've been using abcde on my Linux box to rip CDs, which does handle multi-artist stuff quite happily (it may or may not do the year; don't know, am less interested in that). It lets you choose how you want the MP3s tagged (in my case, track number - title for single artist CDs, track number - artist - title for multi-artist stuff)

I used to use Exact Audio Copy + LAME for Windows-based stuff, but my laptop isn't really up to the job of doing that _and_ other stuff at the same time. Better to do it on a different box. -- Bibliogirl