Thursday, June 03, 2004

I'm sure I was supposed to do some work today...

After spending much of the morning running around trying tie up various loose ends, I made it to the lab just before lunch. About mid-day, I saw my boss, Tom. I told him I had to go to the shops, and asked if I could get him anything. It wasn't so much a case of sucking up, as lab ettiquette.

Seven shops and several purchases later, I decide that my return to the lab may be rather overdue. I had told Tom I would probably be about an hour; this was three and a half hours ago. He is a fair and calm person, however, I decided not to push my luck. Late and laden with shopping, I took the long route back to the building, to avoid being seen. As I approached, I phoned a friend who works upstairs in a different department, and sheepishly asked her to come down and let me in through the back fire exit. At least that way, I figured there was less chance of running into Tom, two and a half hours late, and clutching my new wardrobe.

In addition to this, I was having the bad hair day from hell. Everything I tried just made the whole mess bigger and frizzier than it had been before. After checking on one of the experiments I had running, I decided the only option was to go home and wash it again.

There are days when I know I do not deserve a PhD. This is one of them.

No comments: