Monday, June 21, 2004

Sexual harassment

I recently walked into the lab to be confronted by Liz, who with a knowing smile asked me, "have you been yet?" The answer, fortunately, was "no."

Everybody in the department, indeed the whole university, was supposed to attend one of a series of seminars on harassment and discrimination in the workplace. We had (apparently) been sent an email from the school secretary alerting us to this. If I didn't dismiss 98 % of the emails I receive from her as being completely irrelevant crap, I might have actually read it. She doesn't seem to realise postgrads wouldn't care about the Board of Govenors if they spontaneously combusted (although I would probably go to that with my camera).

Anyway, I figure I didn't need the seminar. I've never felt discriminated against in my life, and I don't discriminate myself - I'm equally fucking obnoxious to everyone, regardless of gender, race or religion.

Oh, and I can assure you there is not a man in my department who is dumb enough to grab my arse. Although, that said, a drunken pharmacologist did cup my crotch at a Christmas party. He's already, shall we say, physically impaired. Under the circumstances, I felt that decking him would have been considered bad form.

No comments: